Evil Inc.

Evil Inc. by Brad Guigar

forums

welcome! please login or register.

<

Looking back over ten years (4 comments)

Looking back over ten years

Monday, February 15, 2010 - 12:00 AM

Ten Years of Webcomics: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

| Part Four | Part Five | Part Six | Part Seven

I've always dreamt of becoming a cartoonist. Simply put, it is my One Thing. And, as of yesterday, I've been living that dream every day for ten years.

Greystone Inn started on Valentine’s Day, 2000, and ran every Monday through Saturday on the Web (and in newspapers such as the Philadelphia Daily News) until June 2005. Greystone Inn begat Evil Inc — which was, in truth, a spin-off of my original strip. And I’ve been fortunate enough to have been able to deliver that comic every day ever since.

But oddly enough, my road to comics didn’t start with strips. It started with single-panel editorial cartoons. That’s how I first envisioned The Dream. I was going to be a hellfire political cartoonist like my idols Doug Marlette, Jeff MacNelly and Pat Oliphant.

I did editorial cartoons for my high school newspaper and for my hometown paper, The Huron Daily Tribune. And when I went to college, I was the political cartoonist for the weekly campus paper, The Almanian.

My senior thesis was almost completely comprised of cartoons -- mostly political cartoons. The Art Department brought in Bill Day -- at that time he was the political cartoonist for the Detroit Free Press -- to help juror the show.

After the show, Day gave me some great advice about becoming a cartoonist. His advice was to find a small newspaper looking for a newsroom graphic artist. Once I was there, he told me, I could submit cartoons on the side.

By the end of the year, I was working for The Repository in Canton, Ohio, and doing exactly that.

By 1998, I was working for the Philadelphia Daily News. I decided to submit to the syndicates an idea for a daily comic strip. It was based on an idea I had in college -- a college guy living with a pterodactyl for a roommate.

This time, the dinosaur became a gargoyle (named Nigel) and the guy had graduated college.

Within six months, I had received rejections from all of the syndicates, and I got this great idea -- I figured I'd simply post my comics every day on the Web. In my mind, I was the first person to even think of doing this. On February 14, 2000, I posted my first strip.

Before long, I discovered guys like Scott Kurtz had been doing it for a couple years already. But it was too late. I had gotten the bug.

I did Greystone Inn for the next five-and-a-half years. And, through doing the strip, developed an idea of corporatized evil that's very familiar today.

Greystone held tremendous personal fulfillment for me. I could write about almost any topic within the Greystone umbrella. I could write about Ralph Nader one week and riff on a rural Christmas the next. It was an amazing place for me to really work on my cartooning chops. It wasn't until inspiration struck in Artist's Alley at the Paradise Comic Con in Toronto in 2005 that I was even tempted to bring it to a close.

I decided to take some of the things that I loved about the strip that also seemed to really hit with readers -- the corporate super-villains -- and focus a new strip on just that theme. On the plane home from Toronto, I had my new title: Evil Inc.

On June 5, 2005, I ended my long run on Greystone, and the following Monday, I launched my daily comic Evil Inc.

It's been an incredible journey. And I'm thankful that you've been around to help make it happen. To that end, I'm going to be celebrating this anniversary all year long. And believe me, I have some cool stuff planned. For starters, how's this for a tease...

Ten Years of Webcomics: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

| Part Four | Part Five | Part Six | Part Seven

Nic
goon

Feb 2010
Re: Looking back over ten years (Score: 1)
posted Monday, February 15, 2010 - 02:09 AM (#54990)

Congratulations Brad! Thanks for making us laugh. You've been a puntastic inspiration to me in my own comic along with the rest of the halfpixel crew and the webcomics community. Here's to 10 more.

Locked profile www
abelundercity
goon

Jun 2009
posted Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:06 AM (#54992)

Congratulations on ten years of living the dream, Brad! You're an awesome talent and a gentleman to boot!

Locked profile
kitlamb
goon

Feb 2010
posted Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:20 AM (#54995)

Congrats on 10 years. I work 6 days a week and the first thing I do when I come home is kiss my wife, but then I check the Evil, Inc site for the days strip. It helps take away the frustation of the day and lets me decompress and be the happy person I can be. Thanks and please keep up the fantastic art/storywork.

Locked profile
RichK
RichK

goon

Oct 2007
posted Monday, February 15, 2010 - 02:12 PM (#54997)

Congratulations Brad. Thank your family for letting you do what you to entertain us. I'm sure there are days when family is needed more yet you balance it.

--
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software.
Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.
© 2005-2010 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited. Privacy policy.